Mother Nature says to be green! She's even more important then that Simon guy that always tells us what to do!


Photobucket

It’s Earth Day! Did you know that? It’s a good day to inform people about ways they can be green and help the planet, but we really all should be doing things everyday! Here’s what I do to help my little part of the planet. I’m not perfect and there’s a lot more I could or should do but here’s how my list goes so far.


My Green List:


- I recycle.
- I only use cold water when doing laundry.
- I always do full loads for laundry and dishes in the dishwasher.
- I turn lights off when I’m not using them – so whenever I leave the room or apartment.
- I use energy efficient light bulbs.
- Any electronics or appliances we buy (or will buy for our house) are energy star rated.
- I only use reusable bags when grocery shopping and any store I go too. I have a very cute little collection.
- I keep the thermostat turned down low for heat and higher for AC to save energy but still be comfortable.
- All my bills are set to be “paperless” so I only get online statements. Only two bills actually come in the mail and it’s because they don’t offer a “paperless” feature (dumb gas and electric company).
- I try to take as quick of a shower as I can but sometimes I will take longer then needed to relax, but only occasionally!
- I turn off the sink when brushing my teeth and only turn it back on when needed (saves gallons of water)!
- I never litter and will pick up things to throw them away that other people tossed aside.
- I use “green” cleaning products as much as possible and I’m surprised at how well they work compared to the original formulas.
- I have a water filter attached to my sink to use as drinking and cooking water instead of using bottled (when I need bottled for something I always recycle the bottle).



That’s everything I can think of at the moment. If I think of more I’ll come back to add but I’m pretty sure this covers it all. When my husband and I move into our new house we plan to add even more things to our list like installing efficient water flow faucets, toilets and showerheads (the things we can’t control in our apartment). We also plan to build a deck in the backyard and want to make it as environmentally friendly as possible. Any improvements we make we will try our hardest to make it energy efficient and use planet friendly materials. We also plan to use no VOC paint (it doesn’t have the fumes normal paint does) when we paint inside and out.

My husband also has plans to install a solar powered water heater and has already looked into installation costs and requirements. We would love to have solar panels on our roof at some point as well, but it depends on the requirements for the panels in relation to the house location and size as well as laws in the area.

So there’s my little part and hopes to do more. We also plan to buy a hybrid for our next car (I really love the Prius in red or black)!

Happy Earth Day and be kind to our awesome planet!

=)

1 comments:

Reusable Sandwich Bags said...
October 22, 2011 at 6:50 PM

I was challenge by your green lists. Thanks for the tips. I will also make my own green list.

Back to Home Back to Top Copyright Wait, She Said What?. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.